This template is designed to help you if you have a general idea about the bike you want but have not decided on a specific brand or model yet. If you have a more specific idea of the make or model of bike you want try this template.
Provide potential sellers with as much information as possible including:
- What do you want to use the bike for (road biking, mountain biking, general commuting)? Not sure what type of bike is right for you? Perhaps we can help. See our “Choosing the Right Type of Bike” guide.
- Are there any special items you want on the bike? (Will you be touring with the bike? Do you need to add panniers? Do you want the ability add a child carrier? etc...)
- Do you know what you want the bike frame to be made out of? (E.G. Carbon fiber, Aluminum, Steel). If it does not matter let potential buyers know you are open to options.
- What size? or How tall are you?
- Is there a certain level of components you are interested in? (E.G. Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo. What level do you want?) Don't worry if you don't know. Keep in mind that the price you want to spend will largely dictate the level of components that will be available to you. Confused about components? Check out our “Components 101” document where we break them down for you).
- What else do you need with the bike (E.G. helmet, spare tubes, bike pump, a saddle, bike clothing, etc...)?
- Include a full list. Many shops will give you a better package deal if you buy everything you need at one time.
- Special requests & Additional Notes.
Keep in mind you will always be able to communicate back and forth with interested sellers to lock down the exact bike you want, but by including as much of the above information as possible, you should be able to minimize the amount of communication required later on.
I want a bike that allows me to: I would like the following special items on the bike: I would prefer the frame be made out of: Size of bike or rider height: I would like the following components or parts on this bike: I would like the following accessories: Special requests and additional notes: